Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Close to the edge

I´ve had a real bad accident yesterday. Murderous one.
It was raining on my way back from Albertina and I wanted to go home as fast as possible. Me, on my bike, in the rain, during rush-hour.
The street was pretty sketchy. I had to turn left on one of these large crossroads next a tram stop. I just wanted to cross, as long as the lights were still green. I was quite fast, when it happened. My front-tire came on a track and slipped away.



“Shit, das wars!”



…was all I thought on my way to the ground.

I could hear my skull burst on the street,

I could feel it.

I even saw my brain squirting around – in slow-motion.


Well, you don´t see pictures of your wasted life flickering around your head.
It´s a lie. Your brain is anticipating your soon death.


Somehow I´ve hit a gap in three traffic lanes full of rushing cars.
I tried to kick the bike away, but my legs got tangled.
My paralyzed body was grinding over the street. This took no longer than a second, but it seemed like ages.

Kind of miracle, that none of these cars ran over my head.
Lucky, lucky, lucky us.

When I stopped after fifteen, 20 meters, I could grab my bike and pull it on the pave way.
I didn´t feel nothing. I heard nothing. I could barely see anything!
My heart was beating like on some kind of overdose. I had to sit down - in the rain, saw my environment in black and white and it was still totally quite. Maybe for seconds, maybe minutes. Don´t know. I had to vomit. Think it was a shock.

And I thought, my crash in Switzerland was close!


At home I realized: seriously injured. Grazes all over me: ankles, legs, knee, hip, back, elbow. Both of my hands were just two lumps of bloody meat.
Despite that my head not even had a scratch!
At least it would have been a nice funeral with an open coffin.

Now it will hurt: I had to clean my wounds - with a brush and hot water, till it´s bleeding again. I almost cried. No more adrenalin in my veins, no more body-own pain killer. I didn´t want to take some Aspirin, due to its blood-diluting effects. After my home-made torture, I disinfected all wounds and put some special bandages on the smaller ones.

I couldn´t sit, I couldn´t stand or lie down. Every part of my maltreated body was hurting. Overnight, the graze on my hip broke and my sheet was full of blood this morning.

But right now, I´m in best shape.


I broke my rear-hub. Not a rim, none of my spokes, not even a brake-lever or something! It´s a DT-Swiss Onyx - forged, CNC-machined and hardened 6061 T6 alloy. One of the best hubs ever. Technically impossible to destroy,
but I made it!
Today, I gave the importer a call, and they offered me a fair trading solution, so I don´t have to spend another 250. Nevertheless, my bike is in better condition than myself.




Well, I´ve had been in a real fucked up mood for weeks.
Now I´m not.
Maybe I am kind of snake in need of sloughing sometimes. The good old asphalt peeling, you know.
Or I just need to recognize, there is a thin red line between already dead and still alive.
I am happy right now – that’s good.

"Life is short."

No comments: